Causes of Ageing Skin
Skin ageing is characterised by features such as wrinkling, structural and functional changes in extracellular matrix components such as collagens and elastin, laxity, and rough-textured appearance.
Extrinsic vs Intrinsic Ageing Factors
Extrinsic factors include:
- Exposure to UV radiation accounts for about 80% of facial ageing
- UV irradiation
- The accumulation of abnormal elastic tissue deep in the dermis
Intrinsic ageing is the decreased ability of cells to retain water and the degeneration of elastin, fibrillin, collagen.
Intrinsic factors include:
Skin is the barrier that segregates the body from the outer environment.
It protects the body from water loss and microorganism infection. When healthy, the skin is typically:
- Evenly toned
Maintaining Healthy Skin
Healthy skin can be maintained through the use of:
- Antioxidants – which defend against free radicals, and enhance the protection of your SPF
- SPF – broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection daily
- Retinoids – which increase cell turnover, unclogs pores, even out skin tone and reduce fine lines and wrinkles
The Obagi Nu-Derm® Fx Systems and Obagi-C® Fx Systems are physician dispensed skin care systems. Thess transformational systems work by penetrating the surface of the skin to transform the function of the skin cells at a cellular level, correcting the damage from within, reducing dark spots and revealing younger, healthier-looking skin.
Obagi transformational systems are ideal for:
- Age spots
- Rough skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sallowness (yellowish complexion)
- Hyperpigmentation (discoloration)
Available as two kits Normal/Oil and Normal/Dry